May is the month of Mary
May is a very special month for the Church as we remember Mary, the Mother of Jesus and Mother of us all.
A full month is given over to Mary and during this month we are asked to think about Mary, say special prayers to her, have May altars, and sing hymns to Mary to tell her how much we love her and to ask her to help us stay close to her son Jesus and to try to live as Jesus shows us.
We can always turn and pray to Mary to help us:
Hail Mary, Mother of Mercy
Hail Mary, Mother of Mercy,
our life, our sweetness and our hope.
To you, we cry, as children of God,
joined as one with our wounded world,
with hearts full of hope for a home transformed.
Mother of Creation,
look upon us we pray,
so we may come to see God’s earthly garden
through the radiant light of wisdom.
Holy Mary, Mother of all,
make us worthy we pray,
to treasure the earth our common home,
and show us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus.
This prayer is inspired by the Salve Regina
The ideas and resources below are to help you as a family at home to celebrate May as the month of Mary, our Mother.
Ways to Celebrate Mary in May
· Set up a May Altar in your house.
· Have a family May procession inside or outside your house in the garden or yard.
· How to Make a May Altar at Home
· Pray to Mary Each Day
· Draw your own picture of Mary and place it in your window.
· Say the Rosary together as a family.
· Make your own Rosary beads or create an outdoor rosary.
· Rosary Resources, Crafts and Activities for Children
· Try some crafts, there are lots of ideas online!
(Make sure you have an adult with you whenever you are searching online!)
· May is the Month of Mary - Activities and Crafts
· Find hymns which are about Mary and sing them with your family! Maybe you could even create your own hymn about Mary?
· Look at stories of Mary in the Bible. Choose your favourite one and retell it in words and pictures.
· In many countries, there are special places where people visit to pray to Mary. Find out about:
Our Lady of Knock, Ireland
Our Lady of Lourdes, France
Our Lady of Fatima, Portugal
· Our Lady of KnockKnock, Co Mayo, Ireland
· Our Lady of LourdesLourdes, France
· Our Lady of FatimaFatima, Portugal
· In March, England was re-dedicated as the Dowry of Mary. Find out more about this on the link below:
If you do complete any of the activities above, please email a picture of your work to:
and we will post them here on the 'RE at Home' page.